The connection between Málaga and Córdoba
The first steps in the building of a railway that connects Málaga with Córdoba, were taken in the mid-40s of the 19th century. In 1851 the committee for planned works was composed for the first time by Jorge Loring, Martín Larios, Joaquín Ferrer, José Hernández Varela y Enrique de Sandoval, all of whom were important figures in Málaga’s society. After the 1855 Railway Act and having granted the works concession to Jorge Loring in 1859 and created the investment company by some members of Malaga’s upper middle class, town councils and French, Catalan and English funds, the works on the railway Málaga-Córdoba were started in March 1860. In 1866, the railway was finished, and this way fertile countryside from the inland and coal stocks in the mines of Belmez and Espiel were connected with the Mediterranean city and the factories ‘La Constancia’ that belonged to Loring family.
This railway line extends to 192 kilometres, along fertile olive terrain, farming land and meadows. The line spans 17 tunnels, 8 viaducts and 18 bridges, which go through important towns, such as Fernán Núñez, Montilla, Aguilar de la Frontera, Puente Genil, and villages in the Province of Málaga , like Bobadilla, Gobantes, El Chorro, las Mellizas, Álora, Pizarra, Cártama, Los Remedios and Campanillas. An important part of tunnels, bridges and viaducts join exactly at Desfiladero de los Gaitanes, where the works were especially hard due to a craggy terrain, which was even difficult to go across on a horse. In this zone, trains move on the left side of the Guadalhorce, crossing the gorge almost at El Caminito de Rey’s altitude.
Boosting Small Towns
Towns and villages close to the gorge became liver after the building of the new railway line between Córdoba y Málaga. Above all, the village of El Chorro came out well due to the opening of one of train stops.
Therefore, we can say that the railway promoted this area’s development, considering it was an inactive zone, excluded from economic growth. This was because of its complex orography among other reasons. The area had almost exclusively been dedicated to agriculture and livestock farming, when other perspectives were opened in front of it thanks to this iron construction which connected it to other regions.